When installing the Cloud Services Process Pack SP1 version, I ran into a few issues that are worth noting. On the Orchestrator Server

  1. If you don’t have an OrchestratorUsersGroup on the local machine because you selected a domain account during the install. You will need to create one this was covered by a blog post you can find here.
  2. Add your service account for Orchestrator and the account running setup if they are different to the OrchestratorUsersGroup.
  3. SQL Version Requirement, I didn’t find any documented requirements searching the web and the admin guide quickly. On the configuration screen below I was getting an error “SQL Server 2008 was not found” My SQL Server was running SQL 2008 R2 SP2. After upgrading to SQL 2008 R2 SP2 CU5 I was able to proceed past the error.

     

    I am now stuck at the step of importing the runbooks

    One thing to check is that your powershell scripts are unblocked you can find details on that here, but that didn’t allow me to proceed any further in the setup.

    Update: I was able to finish the install

    The last change I made that allowed the setup wizard to finish was to open the runbook designer on the server, create a new runbook check it out, then delete it.

    Few other items to note that I had recently done in troubleshooting was added the logged on user to the OrchestartorSystemGroup on the local machine and added the service account to the OrchestratorUserGroup on the local machine.

    Here is the Technet forum post that provided the solution to the strange problem.

In my lab I have an issue where SQL doesn’t always start when my VM is rebooted this causes the SCOM services not to start up as well, in our production environment we every once in a while will have something happen that causes SQL to fail. So I created some runbooks that will monitor SQL and the SCOM services. If you are running more than one SCOM management server or running a SQL cluster you will need to create these runbooks for each server.

Monitor SQL Service – Runbook
Continue reading

Since my original post on issues with the SCCM agent and WMF 3.0. We have only uninstalled the WMF 3.0 update on systems that created major issues or have documented compatibility issues. I have found the WMI queries don’t report SQL Server data correctly.

Here is the Microsoft KB on how to fix this problem.

the common symptom I see is when attempting to run an application install that uses WMI to query the SQL version or any other information the setup wizrd reports either SQL is not installed or SQL is not the correct version.

There is a known bug with the SCCM MP and powershell/WMI v3 if you have the SCCM agent installed on your Management Point Server.  When the SCCM agent health check runs nightly it rebuilds WMI and breaks the MP.

Update 1/30/2014

please see my follow up post here on how to setup a Configuration Item to find this on your network if you are running Pre SP1 ConfigMgr still.

I opened a case with Microsoft support they confirmed that there was a known bug with WMF 3.0 and SCCM MP. they had two options to resolve this

1. unisntall WMF 3.0 and uninstall the SCCM agent from the Management point Server (would need to uninstall and reinstall the MP after SCCM agent is removed)

2. edit the NotifyOnly Regkey to TRUE. full path to the Key HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftCCMCcmEvalNotifyOnly

They attempted to uninstall WMF 3.0 and reinstall the Management Point with the following steps
Continue reading