After upgrading my SCSM management server to SP1, I found that my management server would not start. The only error I could find in the logs that was related was this error that wasn’t very helpful.
The Management Group <MGNAME> failed to start. The error message is 0x80131701(0x80131701). A previous message with more detail may have been logged.
When I found this error message at first it was followed by some SCOM management group errors, this turned out to not be related so I’m going to skip the details on that.
After I had ruled out my SCOM management Group, I tried removing system center Advisor and restarting the system center management service.
Once the System center management server restarted the error in the even log didn’t reoccur and within a few minutes workflows were working again.
I didn’t have any problems running System Center Advisor on my SCSM servers pre SP1. With the addition of the custom SCOM agent that is part of SP1 you need to make sure you don’t have System Center Advisor installed on your SCSM management servers.